Saturday, January 22, 2011

Day 22- Drive In

Monday through Friday around 6:45 am you can find me in about the same place.  I am taking the same road to the same destination at the same time.  And more than likely I am putting my make up on while driving, just entering Shelby (this is one of my many bad habits, but I like to see it as time efficient).  See, I  have my morning routine down, dovetailing all tasks as to allow myself to wake up at the last possible second.  Today while making this same drive to see a student's basketball game a place I have seen countless times, a place I have even visited, stood out to me like never before.  Today, however, I was taking the same road to a different destination at a different time- perhaps that is why? 

From a distance I could see the old, almost retro, "Sunset Drive In" sign.  In big letters it said "closed."  It caught my attention first as I looked at it and thought it would be a great photograph.  As I passed the drive-in I glanced over at the huge dilapidated screen.  It was worn from years of weathering but still looked like it could last forever.  Then I noticed all of the white poles sticking out of the ground- they looked like gigantic straws diagonally coming out from the grass. 

It all looked so empty and lonely and very much like a wasted space.  This is what made it so beautiful to me.  I thought to myself how happy this place must be in the winter to get a rest from people trampling all through it to watch a movie in the comfort of their cars, lawn chairs, tailgates, blankets... 

No comments:

Post a Comment