Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Day 19- Angels in America pt. 2

Tonight, my most marvelous counterpart and I finished Angels in America (the mini-series).  

I must say that upon completion of the first disc we had to seriously think before deciding that we would finish the series and get the next disc.  The beginnings were a little slow and cheesy for my taste.  However, I enjoyed the characters, Roy being my favorite, from the get-go.  Al Pacino plays the best conservative republican homophobic homosexual with AIDS- Roy.  Harper (Mary Louise Parker tripping out on depression meds at all times) was a close second.  The writing was fantastic, but still... the first disc just didn't "stick" for me.  

Disc 2 took the dark turn that I was craving.  The characters, who were already the best part, became more and more... commanding.  I found myself hanging on to every word coming from every mouth.  I found myself not blinking as to not miss one of the ever-changing emotions that was being thrown at me.  I found myself being completely submerged in this story line that I once was so unsure of.  

I didn't like the very ending.  I liked the ending, or the "resolution" or whatever, but the last scene was unnecessary.  Everything else on this second disc, leading up to this ending, in all of it's cheesiness, was perfect.  It was thought provoking, influential, depressing, forceful, fantastical and beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment