Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Day 67- Little Human Beans

Let me start by saying, I love reading novels with my class.  

I have never been a strong reader and was almost terrified to teach reading.  I felt like it was my weakest area and that I would inevitably fail my students.  I can say that while teaching this year I have watched my students grow to love reading and have done the same in the process. 
There is something about sitting under our classroom tree.  
There is something about my students sitting on the window sill, in the bench, on the back table, and sprawled out on the floor.  
There is just something about these little random, different bodies scattered around for our relaxed, yet highly productive, reading "circle." 

I feel this is the place our classroom family grows closer.  Where students who were terrified to read in groups volunteer to read over and over and over.  Today I could see this growing to be true when we discussed this passage as pointed out by a student to share as something that stuck out to them: 

"Human beans are disappearing everywhere without giants is guzzling them up.  Human beans is killing each other much faster than the giants is doing it...human beans is the only animal that is killing their own kind." 

I love it when they "get it." 

No comments:

Post a Comment